Roasted Heirloom Carrot Salad
Caramelised spiced Carrots are a weakness to the masses so here is another recipe to add to the bank.
I originally made this for the lovely visitors of Wayside Chapel where I cook a few days a week, utilising what we had stocked in the fridge this delicious creation came to life. This now is a great go to salad I serve up for our centre visitors but also cook with Corporates for our community lunches on Tuesday and Thursdays.
Quite persian inspired with the addition of Dates and Pistachio’s but admittedly not intentional (I can’t resist something sweet and crunchy in a salad..an essential I believe). You could always easily swap out the dates and pistachios for whatever you have on hand..currants, sultanas, apricots as well as sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts etc.
My measurements/beliefs of spices are the more spice the better, I encourage everyone to pour from the packet till the veggies are well coated. Even though I have supplied tsp measurements don’t be afraid to up your game. My non negotiable spices for the pantry are Nutmeg, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and Smoked Paprika these work with any veggie any time!!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!! x
Sticky Heirloom Carrot Salad
Carmelised and delish side salad to enjoy with many meals
- 3 bunches of Heirloom carrots OR normal carrots just cut in half lengthways
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 Tbs of Sweetener (brown rice syrup, maple syrup, honey)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Curry Powder
- Sprinkle Himalayan rock salt and cracked pepper
- 1 bunch of Radishes (thinly sliced)
- Bunch of Fresh Dill
- 5 Medjool Dates (pitted and chopped into cubes
- 1/4 cup Roasted Pistachio kernels
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together Carrots, spices, sweetener and Oil, ensure to evenly coat.
- Arrange carrots on lined baking trays ensuring not to over crowd.
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes or until tender and slightly browning.
- Once the Carrots a cooled slightly chop carrots in half and in a serving dish toss through remaining ingredients.
- Serve with a drizzle of Balsamic Glaze and Tahini...and Enjoy!